This article was written by Australia’s Hamptons expert, Natalee Bowen of Indah Island.
Following on from how to plan a Hamptons-inspired renovation with a <$10K budget and <$20K budget, having more to spend means you can really transform your home to create a timeless Hamptons look you’ll love forever. With a budget of up to $30,000, you can consider redesigning the layout of your house for open-plan living as well as create an outdoor entertaining space, a hallmark of Hamptons homes.
MAKE YOUR EXTERIOR ‘POP’
Create the classic weatherboard look that is synonymous with Hamptons homes. To make the most of your budget, and for an instant transformation, use Linea™ Weatherboard to cover a brick or rendered exterior and add Axent™ Trim to the windows for a crisp, elegant finish. For a timeless decorative feature with a true Hamptons feel, you can enhance the lining board under the eaves and add square, shaker-style columns to the front of the home.
A balcony or outdoor living space is another great way to bring the Hamptons look to your façade. With a signature feature of a Hamptons home being an outdoor area designed to make the most of warm days and alfresco entertaining, this is a key reason the Hamptons look is ideally suited to the Australian lifestyle. Oversized bi-fold doors that open onto a balcony, deck, pool area or grassy backyard will encourage a seamless transition between your lounge room and dining space, not to mention opening up your living area to expand your entertaining space.
INTERIORS AND FURNITURE
A <$30k budget allows you to look at the layout of your home and consider if you can structurally make it open-plan living, as well as looking at flooring options. Are there any walls that could be removed to create a bright, airy space? Is there a possibility of extending or replacing windows to maximise natural light? Colour-matching your flooring – both inside and out – with the walls will help to create a harmonious flow from your living room to your outdoor area. Maintaining a similar colour palette from your living room to your balcony will further encourage a harmonious indoor/outdoor flow in your new open-living home.
By using Axon™ cladding throughout your home and wet areas including the kitchen, bathroom, ensuite, laundry and garage, you can create a clean and consistent Hamptons feel that is also low-maintenance. Bring in some greenery to match the landscape outside, such as a few oversized potted palms, which will add some lush colour to the soothing, neutral palette inside.
TOP 5 TIPS ON A <$30K BUDGET
- Create a classic weatherboard exterior with Linea Weatherboard, adding Axent trims for a crisp, elegant finish.
- Add columns and a balcony at the entrance of your home for a real ‘wow’ factor and an unmistakably Hamptons-inspired façade.
- Focus on the kitchen and wet areas, using Axon cladding to create a consistent, low-maintenance Hamptons feel. Add statement pendant lights and bar stools for decorative touches.
- Update the flooring and internal paint colours with similar hues to create a seamless flow from indoor to outdoor living.
- Revamp your furnishings with a few larger pieces, such as wicker armchairs and a jute rug. These can be complemented with soft textiles such as throws and cushions in neutral shades, as well as lush indoor greenery such as large, potted palms.