There’s something quintessentially elegant about the Hamptons look – and you don’t have to move to the east coast of the Untied States to capture it. From the bright, whitewashed exterior, to the classic horizontal weatherboard, stately columns and eye-catching eaves, there’s so much to love about a Hamptons home.
When renovating your outdoor area, bringing a beachy Hamptons vibe just makes sense for the Australian lifestyle. With James Hardie™, you can get the upscale look you want with our cost-effective, hard-wearing materials.
Choose your Hamptons style
Did you know that there’s more than one way to define your Hamptons look? Depending on your tastes, you can choose a style that matches your home’s exterior while delivering all the hallmarks of a coastal Hamptons property.
- Australian Hamptons: Bring affluent beachside vibes Down Under with an Australian version of the Hamptons look. There’s plenty of character in this style, and many homes focus on a practical layout in order to get the most out of the classic Hamptons design.
- Contemporary Hamptons: For the ultimate in sophistication, go for a modern Hamptons style that screams ‘contemporary’. Design choices typically focus on bold form and pared-back ornamentation, with a striking black-white contrast – a significant deviation from the traditional bright-white style.
- Traditional Hamptons: The original Hamptons look includes the same brightness you’ve come to expect from this style. It offers classic whitewashed charm while retaining its sense of history. Inside, you’ll likely find French-lite interior styles of Rococo and Baroque (with their own American influence), while outside it’s less about being bold and more about focusing on ornamentation.
How to create a Hamptons-inspired outdoor space
So you’re ready to add a splash of Hamptons flair to your outdoor entertaining area – what should you focus on first?
In order to stand up to Australia’s unpredictable weather, you need cladding that is both durable and weather-resistant, but also brings the charm of the Hamptons to your outdoor space.
For a more traditional look, you can’t go past Linea Weatherboard™. In addition to the timeless horizontal design, Linea is resistant to shrinking, swelling and cracking, and doesn’t come with any of the maintenance of timber. You also get the distinct shadow lines for Hamptons-style walls, with hard-wearing cladding that will withstand all the elements – coastal or otherwise.
Alternatively, go for a more modern Hamptons twist with vertical joint sheet panels. HardieGroove Lining™ is both durable and elegant, while still giving you the charming style of the Hamptons but with your own unique flair.
Whatever your decision, go for neutral colours on your outdoor walls for a truly stylish Hamptons entertaining space.
It wouldn’t be the Hamptons without a proper deck. But no one wants to deal with the painful upkeep of traditional timber decking, so go with a fibre-cement solution that won’t warp or crack underfoot with HardieDeck™. It’s durable, weatherproof and when painted in white or neutral tones it really brings together the classic Hamptons look.
Surround your HardieDeck with plants that add a splash of flora to your entertaining space and cope well in Australian conditions – think agapanthus, lilly pilly, or even a jacaranda tree as your backyard’s centrepiece. Also, don’t forget to pair your brand-new deck with high ceilings to finish off your Hamptons space.
Create a natural transition from inside your home to your outdoor space by installing large, open windows and sliding doors. Axent Trim™ is a sturdy fibre-cement solution that adds the perfect finishing touch to any renovation. Painting them in crisp whites will play well with the muted tones of your weatherboards, as will considered additions like feature posts and soffits detailed with vertical-groove panels.
Another great way to boost your indoor-outdoor flow is by installing an outdoor kitchen. They allow you to capture the alluring lifestyle of the Hamptons while giving you the freedom to entertain outdoors on perfect summer nights. Make sure any materials you use are resistant to moisture and warping as a result of heat, such as Linea Weatherboard.
5-step checklist for an outdoor Hamptons reno
Now that you know how to tackle your outdoor Hamptons renovation, here are the five most important steps to follow:
- Create an initial design plan (this may be reviewed by your builder or architect later).
- Lock in your budget – and stick to it!
- Check any local rules and regulations, and seek council approval if necessary.
- Find a builder.
- Order your durable, Hamptons-style materials from James Hardie.